The Eco-Healthy Child Care (EHCC) program ensures that child care settings are as environmentally healthy as possible.
Child care facilities qualify as “Eco-Healthy” by completing a checklist that highlights 30 simple steps that ensure a safe place for children. Eco-Healthy providers commit to reducing children's exposure to toxics and other environmental health hazards.
Steps to becoming "Eco-Healthy" relate to some of the following:
Pesticides and Pest Prevention
Lead and Mercury
Plastics and Plastic Toys
Recycling and Garbage Storage
For additional information or to view the entire checklist click the "eco-tree".
Additional steps Little Acorn is taking:
- 100% recycled and 100% recyclable dishes
- BPA free plastic water bottles for all children
- Cloth diapering welcomed
- Eco-friendly disposable diapers and wipes provided
- Natural, non-toxic toys and games
- Meals prepared daily using organic ingredients whenever possible
- Purchase as much local produce, meats and dairy as possible and a majority of fruits and vegetables are purchased at local Farmers Markets during the warmer months.